What is the best kind of shingle for your Florida roofing project? It depends on your budget, the slope of the roof and many other items that your roofing contractor can explain to you during the process of obtaining an estimate.
There are pros and cons for any type of shingle and these, as well as your budget, will figure into your overall decision-making process. Here is a brief breakdown of the most commonly used roof materials:
- Asphalt shingles are the most commonly used. They are the least expensive of the styles. Many of these shingle types come with an Energy Star rating which means, in Florida, that you could have a “cooler roof” and qualify for an energy rebate. These shingles typically last for 20 to 30 years.
- Wooden shingles are considered quite aesthetically appealing because they give the roof and the home a more natural feel. These shingles can last between 30 and 50 years and are made of hardwoods including redwood or cedar. These are more expensive than asphalt shingles.
- Metal roofs are gaining favor in many areas of the country, especially on homes with steep roof slopes. These roofs are not as expensive as you’d imagine and can last up to 50 years. The roofs are either constructed of metal shingles or solid metal.
- In the Northeast, slate shingle roofs are popular because of their durability, they can last up to 50 years. These shingles are sometimes found on old farmhouses. Budgeting for slate can be cost prohibitive for some home owners but there are synthetic slate products on the market that are more cost effective for many, they look similar, but may have a shorter life span.
- Tile shingles are popular in Spanish and Southwest architecture. Tile is the most expensive of roof tiles and are more time consuming to install. However, they are the most durable of the materials on the market and can last up to 80 years! These tiles are heavy and therefore need a home that is structurally sound enough to support their weight.
When you’re in need of a new roof for your home, talk with your roofing professional in Florida about the best style for your home, budget and lifestyle.